Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Work Work

Henry graciously offered to give us a lift back to our residences, and so Adhi and I are in the car, talking.

"You know the irony is that the weekends are less free than the weekdays?" Adhi is saying, waving his hands in the front seat, "On the weekends we have to do this, but on the weekdays it's less busy because we have other modules to worry about. Now what kind of twisted logic is that?"

I murmur my agreement. We had just spend the evening discussing our app's implementation and there was still a lot of work to do.

"Sometimes I wish we had extra hours in the day." Adhi continues. I see Henry smiling in the rear view mirror as he turns the car past the Mochtar Riady building - we're only minutes away from the bus terminal, now.

"But why just extra hours?" I say. "You know, there's this comic called Dragon Ball, and there used to be a room in the comic where one minute is one hour, or something like that. I sometimes wonder what it'd be like to have that room - imagine preparing for your exams 20 minutes before the paper, or even 5 minutes ..."

"Sure from Dragon Ball?" Henry asks. "Sounds like something from siaw ting tang."

"Yeah sure." I say, and then to Adhiraj: "But why would you want extra hours? Why have hours when you can have days?"

"Oh no, that won't work." Adhi says, "We'll still have only two free days per week."

"What? Wait ... why?"

Adhi turns round to look at me. "Because NUS would take away the extra days from us." he says, in all seriousness. "They'll take that for themselves and just leave us with the two normal weekend days to relax."

I pause.

"Damn, you're right."

"Uhhuh."

"You're absolutely right."

And so, with that disturbing thought in our heads, we left the car and walked to our rooms and got right back to work.

1 comment:

joshuatj said...

love this conversation to bits!! Awesome awesome!

and ya it's from Dragon Ball! It's where Goten and Trunks learn how to merge